You can answer the questions in any order. This script will give you a hint if you are wrong.
2. Wolf was strongly influenced by Wagner:
3. All of the following were strongly influenced by Wagner except
4. Mahler's chief occupation was as a:
5. All of the following statements about Mahler symphonies are true except:
His orchestras are very large and contain a wide variety of instruments.
Some of his symphonies contain choral parts.
Some of his symphonies are somewhat programmatic.
His style is strongly influenced by Richard Strauss.
6. Mahler's symphonies are traditional in that they begin and end in the same key.
7. Mahler's work for solo voices and orchestra that sets translations of Chinese poems is:
Das Lied von der Erde
Das Knaben Wunderhorn
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
8. Richard Strauss is known for all of the following except:
9. Tone poems usually fall into two categories. They are either generally philosophical or descriptive. All of the following have a specific descriptive program except:
Also sprach Zarathustra
Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks
10. Till Eulenspiegel is a kind of rondo and Don Quixote is a type of theme and variations.
11. Which of the following Strauss operas is reminiscent of the operas of Mozart?
12. The 19th century saw a dramatic rise in nationalism in music. It was caused by all of the following except:
a desire to compete with the Austro-German tradition
a renewed interest in native folk song
a turning away from the Classic symphony and concerto
an obsession with order and symmetry
13. The father of the nationalist movement in Russia and the composer of A Life for the Tsar is:
14. The literary figure whose stories were used in operas by Tchaikovsky and Mussorgsky is:
15. All of the members of the Mighty Five were trained either at the Moscow Conservatory or the St. Petersburg Conservatory.
16. All of the following were characteristic of the music of Mussorgsky except:
his operas used stories from history
chorus scenes were important
love interest drove the plot
basses are prominently featured
17. Folksongs inspired some of the melodies in Boris Godunov.
18. Boris Godunov could be characterized as what kind of opera?
19. Rimsky-Korsakov was famous for his programmatic writing. All of the following are examples except:
Russian Easter Overture
Night on Bald Mountain
20. The Mystic Chord is associated with which Russian composer:
21. All of the following were important Czech nationalist composers except:
22. Glinka is to Russia as___________is to Spain: