This script will automatically check your answers for you.
2. Bach wrote most of his preludes and fugues while he held a position at
3. Bach's fugues were paired with all of the following except
4. Bach composed in all contemporary genres except
5. Bach's trio sonatas were influenced by Italian models. They were scored for
two violins and continuo
violin, viola, and continuo
violin, viola, and cello
6. The Goldberg Variations are a set of canons written on
each successive half step of the scale
intervals of increasing size
a theme dictated by Frederick the Great
Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen
7. The preludes of the Orgelbüchlein are based on:
newly composed themes
none of the above
8. The Well-Tempered Clavier was designed for which kind of tuning system?:
mean tone tuning
9. The Brandenburg Concertos are characterized by all of the following except
movements in a fast-slow-fast arrangement
triadic themes and steadily driving rhythm in Allegro movements
solo instruments pitted against strings and continuo
ritornello form in the Allegro movements
10. The Musical Offering consists of
a series of canons written at every increasing intervals of imitation
a three- and six-part ricercare for keyboard and ten canons
24 preludes and fugues
45 chorale preludes
11. ?Bach's comprehensive treatment of fugue writing was composed in the last two years of his life and is called
The Musical Offering
The Art of Fugue
The Well-Tempered Clavier, Vol. II
The Goldberg Variations
12. Bach's cantatas were written for choirs of approximately what size?
13. In his position in Leipzig Bach was required to provide approximately how many cantatas a year?
14. All of the following statements about the Bach Magnificat are true except
It was first performed in Berlin.
It was influenced by Italian models.
It was written during his stay in Weimar.
It was written for five-part chorus and orchestra.
15. The text of the St. John Passion is taken from
the Gospel of John
writings of Bach
the Passion poem of B. H. Brockes
all of the above
16. All of the following statements about the St. Matthew Passion are true except
It uses pictorial musical figures to illustrate the text.
It uses five versions of the Passion Chorale.
It uses recitative and aria.
The text is exclusively Biblical.
17. The first part of Händel's career is remembered for his:
18. All of the following are Händel operas except:
19. Händel's keyboard suites and concerti grossi were influenced by his early exposure to the works of
J. S. Bach
J. C. Bach
20. All of the following influenced Händel's choral writing except
the English choral tradition
the use of the chorus in opera
the German Lutheran chorale style
the works of J. C. Bach